We ask, “Why?” and we will never know the answer except that Jesus wanted Daniela to be with him. In the midst of all the surprise, camp activity, and taking care of pending things, a certainty came to my heart that it was just her time. Those who knew her better confirmed that this was the case.
• I remember her friends saying that if anyone had to go, Daniela was the one who was most ready.
• I remember the tears of campers and the altar that we made dedicated to Daniela’s memory.
• I remember campers resolving to live their lives differently- making decisions for eternity and not for fun or peer pressure.
• I remember the faith of parents who were suffering a painful loss.
• I remember the reporters who were so moved by the example of the community.
• I remember the outpouring of love and support from across the nation and the world.
• I remember Daniela’s parents and siblings, struggling to make sense of it all and accept the offering Our Lord asked of them.
After receiving news of the tragedy, missionaries in Michigan sent a letter on July 22, 2012, that read:
The following prayers and sacrifices will be offered for Daniela, her family, and all those affected by this tragedy:
3 Plenary Indulgences
4 Special Prayers
1 Decade of the Rosary
May you be filled with God’s peace, trusting in His infinite goodness.
the ECyD missionaries, the RC missionaries, and the consecrated in Oxford, MI
Even though I met Daniela only momentarily, my life has been deeply impacted by her innocent offering. She is now a little angel in white to whom we can ask for intercession. I remember her and her family on this one-year anniversary with deep love, gratitude, and affection. May the Lord grant peace to all.
Daniela’s memorial card reads:
“Que tienes que dar a Dios que no sea suyo? NADA excepto el si de tu amor.”
“What do you have to give to God that is not his? Nothing except the “yes” of your love.”